We work with terry
Embroidery Digitizing is a looped fabric. Each of its loops is a kind of sponge, which is specially designed to absorb moisture. The most common terry products are 100% cotton. But there are other types of fibers: bamboo, cotton, flax.
A lot of popular products are made of terry, and therefore it is decorated with heterogeneous embroidery digitizing services quite often. That is why I decided to consider the basics of embroidery on this fabric.
The whole Embroidery Digitizing is different:
- by weight
- by density
- by the composition of raw materials
- on stability
- in height loops
- by the twist of the loops
- along the cut of the loops
- there are loops on only one side of the fabric or on both sides
And all these parameters impose their own characteristics on the creation of programs for embroidery on buttonhole fabrics.
Technically, embroidery on a terry cloth is not a big deal: it stuck with a stabilizer (I use a thin tear-off). But I read somewhere that you can use a dense water-soluble film instead of a tear-off one), then put it on top, or better yet, burned it, a thin water-soluble film so that the loops do not break through the stitches and forward, embroider.
For embroidery on thick terry, it is usually recommended to use 80/12 needles with a sharp point, and on thin and stretched fabrics - 75/11 with a ballpoint point. Any thread can be used. But I prefer viscose - it is softer than polyester.
Digitizing designs for fabrics with buttonholes
The very process of creating an embroidery design is nothing special, you just need to adhere to some recommendations.
- It is better to choose a rather large design for embroidery on terry. Objects should not have very thin elements - after embroidery, the loops will rise and cover small details, which will worsen the appearance of the embroidery. Therefore, it is preferable to use bold fonts. Satin widths, for example, should not exceed 8mm, but should not be less than 1.5-2mm.
- When the stitch length is longer than 8mm, you need to force split the stitches or use a fill with a shorter stitch length for this object. This is due to the fact that terry products are often washed off and long stitches will sag over time and acquire an unattractive appearance or may be accidentally caught.
- It is recommended to increase the width of the satins by about 10% or simply add contraction compensation of 20-30%.
- For thin satins - double run
- For thick satins - double run + double zigzag with a short stitch length to keep the loops on the surface
- For fillings - double run + full lattice with slope angles that do not coincide with the main layer.
I use the density on the terry no more than 0.45mm. Although, I have repeatedly met such an opinion that the density should be increased by 20% in comparison with the usual one. In my experience, such an increase in density only leads to deformation of the embroidery - it becomes wavy.
- Consider using appliqué in online embroidery digitizing for more than just stitch saving and water-soluble stabilizer. And also because it is easier to embroider small details on the applique fabric than on the terry cloth itself.
But I didn’t like the process of cutting the applique in the hoop on the terry cloth - there is a high probability that I would hook the loops with scissors and cut them through. It is better to make an appliqué according to a pre-cut template.
In general, the process of creating a program for embroidery on terry cloth is not complicated. There is nothing in it that cannot be mastered.
- We make a double-sided application
Today I will analyze in detail how I made a double-sided application. I decided to make the application as a test in order to work out the third version of the technique, which I described in a post about...
- Adding volume to the embroidery. Method number 2
Today I will tell you how to add volume to the embroidery in another way using special foam (3D foam, puffy, pouf, puffy, foam, BODYBUILDER (Madeira)). Some manufacturers call their foam...
- We embroider on fur
I decided to try rising on fur. It turned out the first time, without any technological tweaks and puzzles when creating the program. Satin snowflakes did not sink much into...
- Double-sided application
This type of application has already been written and rewritten. But I will still describe all the methods known to me, seen somewhere or personally tested. Technological process of creating a double-sided applique...
- Inscriptions in machine embroidery. Basic rules for digitizing text manually
To this day, I still consider the creation of lettering for machine embroidery one of the most difficult questions, about which I cannot really much...
For more details: